UF Health plastic surgeons are trained in a wide variety of procedures that help transgender patients transform their physical appearance, including gender reassignment (“bottom”) surgery.
Gender dysphoria can significantly impact one’s quality of life. Changing gender is a viable option, but is also a life-altering decision and a complex journey. Surgical treatments can be performed to alter the body in order to match the desired gender. Transgender surgeries are usually performed well into the transformation process and on individuals who have been living as their desired gender for some time, and have been in hormone therapy. UF Health plastic surgeons are pleased to evaluate each patient individually and help determine what procedures will provide the most benefit.
UF Health now offers gender reassignment surgeries, including phalloplasty (female to male) and vaginoplasty (male to female). Our plastic surgeons work closely with urologists and gynecologists to create a multidisciplinary approach to gender reassignment.
In addition, here are some of the procedures commonly involved with transgender transformation. Each addresses different areas of the body.
- Breast augmentation – for male to female transgender patients, this procedure uses breast implants to give you full, proportioned breasts.
- Breast removal – for female to male transgender patients, this procedure removes excess breast fat, tissue and skin. It usually combines both surgical removal and liposuction. The extent of the procedure depends on the size and shape of the breasts.
- Rhinoplasty – for male to female OR female to male transgender patients, this procedure changes the shape of your nose to as a means to enhance the appearance consistent with your gender.
- Liposuction – for male to female or female to male transgender patients, this procedure removes excess fat deposits to reshape specific areas of the body.
- Nonsurgical aesthetic procedures – many of our male to female patients benefit from laser hair removal. Botox and fillers can be used based on individual characteristics and desires.
Undergoing transgender surgery is a very individual, personal decision. It is very important to have realistic expectations when going through any kind of plastic or reconstructive surgery. Results may vary with each individual. We are more than happy to sit down with you to discuss your goals for this life-changing decision. We will also work with your insurance company to determine what type of coverage they provide for these procedures.